Share |

General Chamber information

importuser

General Chamber information

By importuser at 12/11/2001 12:11 AM

Posted by:MattDickinson
The Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce office is located at 8 S. Madison (inside the Lehr and Clark Insurance office).  The phone number is 217-357-3024.  Cyndi Huffman is the Chamber secretary, and can be found at that location/number during normal business hours.  

Chamber president for 2007 is Tyrone Jacoby.  Board meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of every month, at noon, in the back room of the Plum Tree Restaurant.  ALL chamber members are welcome to attend the board meetings (although only board members can vote on business items).

Chamber membership is currently $175/yr for most businesses, but there are several special memberships available at reduced rates (such as an individual membership), so call the Chamber office if you have questions.  Also, the Chamber collects an optional $25/yr for membership in Carthage Industrial Development Corporation for anyone interested in being involved in that group (see more on them at other forum topics, or at http://www.carthage-il.com/development/maincidc.html).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MattDickinson on 2005-01-17 12:30 ]</font>
importuser

Re: General Chamber information

By importuser at 1/24/2003 11:54 AM

Posted by:Blue_Moose
Carolis not at the Chamber any more. thankyou John
importuser

By importuser at 7/17/2007 10:20 AM

Posted by:carsnfrd
Jared Murphy is the 2010 president of the Chamber of
Commerce!
importuser

By importuser at 2/16/2010 4:35 PM

Hi guys!

[b]what does the chamber do for us as members?[/b]
gives out community information
coordinates community events:
farmers market
4th of July
Christmas open house
special promotions
maintains community website
monthly newsletter
chamber page
what other things could the chamber do?
maintain comprehensive community calendar
maintain mapping of carthage commercial sites--more to come here-
what are your thoughts.
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 10:28 AM

Posted by:JMurphy
Thanks for getting this post started, Rob.  The Carthage Chamber does do a lot and will continue to do a lot, but 2010 is going to be a year to focus on what's best for our members and our community.  For the events that we hold in Carthage, we need to bring a narrow focus to these events to make them the best they can possibly be.  If we have a mediocre 4th of July, then it will be harder to get people to come in the future.  If people have the best time of their life at it (which I am sure they will since Deuce Coupe is the band this year!), they are going to bring everyone they know with them the next year.  In my opinion, Carthage is known for its events (4th of July, Christmas Open House, many years ago the Strawberry Festival... in the future the shows at the Charger Auditorium...).  Bringing more events and making them all great is our best chance to benefit our community and our members, and we have a great group of people in our organization to make it possible.

I appreciate everyone's feedback this year and ask for your help to make the Chamber an integral part of this community.

Remember to RSVP right away for the Chamber Annual Meeting, which is coming up this Saturday, February 20th, at 5:30pm.  For tickets, call April at the Chamber office at 217-357-3024.  Also, the retail committee will be having a meeting next week, February 24th, at noon at The Wood Inn.  If you are interested in helping this committee or have ideas for us to focus on, please feel free to join us!
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 10:37 AM

that's what I'm talkin about. Let's focus on what we have and make it the best we can.
4th of july
Christmas open house/12 days of christmas/Carthage Christmas Cash
farmers market
What can each of us as retailers do to enhance these events
If we all concentrate on these few days a year and each of us do our individual best to make them "unique" we can build a brand called "Carthage" --a great place to live work and play
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 10:40 AM

original post 2007

Here's the mission statement for the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce retail committee:
"The Retail subcommitteee of the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce will work with retail businesses of the present and future, area media, tourism entities and local government agencies to promote, enhance and expand retail business in the Carthage area."

what do you think?
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 10:42 AM

first posted June 2007:
June 29th

Hi guys!
Thanks to Nat for the upgraded mission statement. I think it says it all!
All righty then---I am so pleased with the "handraisers" for retail warriors. I truly we can accomplish great things working together.
So where do we begin......let's start with W.I.N.---What's important Now---to the retailers warriors of Carthage
here is my list---PLEASE ADD YOUR THOUGHTS--this is a virtual meeting place

1)we need to know what we've got---currently the chamber is conducting a mapping of the square properties. This is being done to know who owns what building--what space is available for sale or lease--what is the property best suited for...Please take the time to fill out your property assessment sheet or if your approached by one of the calling tree chamber members please take a moment  and help them out. Once we  gather all this information we can facilitate filling empty storefronts--utilizing buildings around the square for their optimal use and putting potential future entrepeneurs in touch with current owners/operators. We need to look at our downtown business district as an open air mall---you know what empty storefronts look like in a mall don't you---- LOSERVILLE----more on this later

2)we all need to work off the same calendar---the city, school district, chamber of commerce, tourism committee, ministerial alliance, Nauvoo tourism, service clubs---all need to have one calendar that we can all depend on---in this very busy world it is going to get more and more difficult to attract our customers to our community and hold them here if we aren't letting them multitask. For example--with the new school district bringing in many more students, parents, grandparents, and siblings for school activities, we as retailers need to coordinate our events around school functions--so while they are in town for Johnnie's game they are also invited to a retail function prior to or after.
  Also when we do have events we will all know how and when to market them jointly. Our group should be able to post an annual calender of major retail committee sponsored events so that we all have ample lead time to prepare individually for them.  This website has a very good calendar--I just haven't been able to figure out how to post events to it yet. Help me Matt!

3)Christmas!!!---Ah my favorite time of year! As long as we can make the cash registers ring!!! From Thanksgiving til Christmas we as retailers need to go full steam ahead to try to capture as many shopping $'s as possible! To do this ALL the Merchants in Carthage need to be on the same page to attract and retain these shoppers. The Christmas open house is a great kickoff to the holiday shopping season! But after a kickoff you still have to play 4 quarters to win the game!!!

1st quarter---the twelve days of Christmas Shopping in Carthage---every thurs/fri/sat between Thanksgiving and Christmas (12 days)we must have entertainment/activity to draw traffic to carthage---i.e.--Christmas open house-----Christmas Wish--local school Chirstmas Concert---Chirstmas dinner/theatre--whenl the local business owners  have their Christmas dinner/parties at our local restaurants/dinner theatre during the 12 days--the local employee base could be enticed to do some Christmas shopping before the party with a Christmas bonus of Carthage Christmas Cash. It is my hope that the Chamber will offer Carthage Christmas Cash (up to a total of $10000) to it's members at a 10% discount. CCC could then be distributed as bonuses/gifts during the 12 days. Each individual retailer can offer their own specials for CCC during the 12 days.

2nd quarter--ALL Carthage retail merchants and square Business's open til at least 7pm (so people can come eat dinner and shop before the events) anything less than 100% participation is unacceptable! Don't open til noon if you have to but be open when the traffic is there! yes--Carson Ford will be open at the 4way along with other highway retailers!

3rd quarter--NO empty unlit storefronts during the twelve days of Christmas. Every storefront around and leading to the Carthage square will be outlined with miniture white Christmas lights (Tyrone get your order in) AND with an open and operating retail or service business in the front!!! The mapping of the square will allow us to put up to 11 local part time retailers in the empty storefronts during the 12 days. Weber Meats, pampered chef, Nauvoo fudge, Dadant's,Baxter vineyards, Amish furniture,Santa photography,..etc.....will fill the empty windows for 12 days!!!There will be a retail presence on our square again!

4th quarter---The inside of the square will be a winter wonderland of lights, sounds and activities of Christmas! The square will be divided into 16 sponsored areas (local business, service groups, etc) with one goal in mind---to turn the Carthage square into a festival of lights! Keokuk has Rand Park---Quincy has the Avenue of lights---Carthage can have "a winter wonderland" right smack in the middle of our retail center! Shoppers will come just to see the lights and spend money!

If we play hard for all 4 quarters we will win this game! If we ALL work to make the 12 days of Christmas in Carthage a success we can all enjoy the fruits of our labor and can fall into a big heep in January!

WOW---my fingers hurt---your turn to type! I know we can do this together
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 11:21 AM

Hi guys--who do we want on the retail group--2010---everybody that retails!--that's one--just cut and paste add your name email address
Carson Motors--Rob Carson-- carsnfrd@adams.net
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 12:22 PM

from matt 2007---can we still get that map up and running?
Rob, last I knew, the Plum has a wireless access point upstairs run by one of the tenants up there.  I'll try to track him down and see if he would mind us borrowing a little airspace for the next chamber meeting, and if that's ok, we'll get the laptop and put it to work!

Rob (again):  I also have that historic district document that shows the layout of the buildings around the square (and within 1/2 block of it), and that's a good map to use.  I need to find it (or get yours from you, which might be easier than finding anything in my office!), and scan it so we have the computerized version.  Then, I think we'll be able to set it up on the web site, so that when you run your mouse over a building, basic information about that building will come up, and if you click on the building, maybe history and details come up on a page?  Just what I'm thinking now, anyway.  We could color the buildings RED, BLUE and GREEN, maybe (GREEN means AVAILABLE for rent/lease, RED means for sale, and BLUE means already occupied?).  Lots of possibilities, but the big job is getting all of the information from the current owners/tenants (come on folks, help us out here, please!).

One other retail thing that Rob has mentioned a little bit in passing, but we haven't concentrated too much on:  Store hours.  I know it's too much to ask of store owners to expand hours, sometimes, as that costs a lot, but what if the hours are shifted.  Rob has mentioned opening at 10 in the morning if you must in order to stay open until 7 at night during the Christmas season as an example.  I'm not sure that we couldn't expand that concept to year-round.  Yes, all of the people working in retail would still be working while other stores are open, BUT all of the people commuting back to town, or working at Methode, or anywhere else would be able to come HOME and shop in the evenings.  I'm not a retailer, so certainly can't vouch for the validity of this theory. I just wanted to toss it out and see what the retailers think.  Things like that, if done, have to be committed to for a long-enough time for the public to be able to trust that you'll be open when they get to your store, but if it works, it'd be an easy fix for some of the "shop-at-home" issues.  Think about it.

The Christmas season is just around the corner, so let's get fired up!  Thanks all, and keep the suggestions coming!!!
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 12:24 PM

from craig wear--2007
Hey guys, just been reading the posts. Some good stuff. One of the coolest things that I have ever seen done is a small town was in Memphis, MO (smaller than Carthage, although more isolated). We almost opened a pharmacy there a few years back. Community members renovated an old building on the square into a theater. They used mostly (if not all) volunteer labor. It is now a very nice theater where they get current, big name movies. They also use it for plays, etc. I believe they only play one showing a night. They use volunteer workers. The greatest part of it is they only charge $1 for the movie and pop, popcorn, and candy are $.50 (at least they were 3 years ago). Anyway, they get people from 40-50 miles away regularly, especially people with large families because it is much less expensive. Not sure if this particular idea is feasible, but it is a great example of how a small town that most likely could not support a for-profit business in a particular industry created a non-profit version that is a great asset to its community as well as drawing people from miles around. Keep up the good work
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 12:26 PM

I THINK YOU GET THE IDEA--IF EVERYONE CAN LOGIN AND GIVE THEIR IDEA--POST IT FOREVER---WE CAN HAVE QUITE A THINK TANK HERE---I'M NOT GOING TO POST ANYMORE HERE--REDUNDANT--JUST GO TO CARTHAGE BUSINESS NEEDS AND READ ON---AMAZING STUFF---LET'S GET EVERYONE SIGNED UP AND JUICES FLOWING
ROB
importuser

By importuser at 2/17/2010 2:43 PM

Hi guys--who do we want on the retail group--2010---everybody that retails!--that's one--just cut and paste add your name email address
Carson Motors--Rob Carson-- carsnfrd@adams.net
Martin Kroencke Sullivan, Inc.--Jared Murphy--jmurphy@martinbros.com
importuser

By importuser at 2/23/2010 8:01 AM

I just wanted to put up a quick message to congratulate Rob on his Citizen of the Year award.  It was well deserved, and we are priviliged to have you in our town and as a part of our Chamber.  Thanks, Rob, for your many services to our community!

Thanks also to everyone for helping make this year's annual meeting a great one.  April Gavillet and Pam Schieffer spent a lot of time decorating the facility and making it look great!  There were many others who helped set up tables and chairs before the meeting and take everything down after the meeting.  We really have a great group of people working on the Chamber this year and I'm excited for a wonderful year.

Jared
importuser

By importuser at 3/2/2010 10:21 AM

This is an idea to boost retail around the 4th of July.  I need input.  What do you think?  What would you change to improve it?

[u][b]Independents Day[/b][/u]
The Friday before the 4th of July (July 2nd), we could ask businesses to run huge sales on certain items so we can advertise that all independent Carthage businesses are offering discounts up to 50% off.  We could run a large ad in the Shopper and/or J-P (and even the Herald-Whig, Quill, WGEM, KHQA, the possibilities of advertising are endless) leading up to the day including some of the sale items from local businesses, and on the day of the sale, we will have sidewalk sales on the square (and, like the Christmas Open House, get other retailers who arent a part of the square to lease building space on the square or set up a booth on the courthouse lawn or somewhere on the sidewalk around the square).  We could even print up flyers to put at each business to tell the importance of independent businesses and the importance of shopping locally.  There are a lot more ideas that could play into the theme of Independence Day, but that is a start.  Let me know what you think.  If we do it, it has to be huge as well as successful for our retailers!!!