Share |

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

importuser

Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 6/25/2007 2:11 PM

Posted by:carsnfrd
[flash=200,200][/flash]
Hi to all! This will be the place where we can conduct virtual retail commitee meetings as well as exchange special dates, ideas etc.......
Please voice your opinion and let your ideas flow---as a retailer or a consumer the Carthage area retailers need to know what your thinking!!!
Rob Carson
importuser

Re: Carthage Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee

By importuser at 6/27/2007 12:32 PM

june 29th
I will try to post daily. As a retailer I believe that we should integrate into anything that is building customer traffic in the community. For example, the farmer's market on the square is growing weekly and every retail business in Carthage should be able to benefit from it. Carson Ford has reserved a spot for the entire summer. We bring up a used car put "buy of the week" on the windshield with a special price and we sell homemade ice cream for a $ a scoop ( all proceeds go to the hiking/biking path around the Lake). Have I sold a car yet--no--have I had people talking to my salesmen about cars--yes!!!

What can you do as a retailer to be part of this customer traffic building event.

sidewalk sale of slow moving inventory, sample of your food products, sign up for a raffle for a free product? The possibilities are endless and the investment is minimal---$5 a week--think outside your box and find a way to get involved with this neat little event. Who knows--you might even sell something
REMEMBER--ACTIVITY PRODUCES ACTIVITY!!!
importuser

By importuser at 6/27/2007 4:53 PM

sorry the last post was June 27th not the 29th! BTW what great news today!!! The campus is now well on it's way to becoming a viable part of our community again! Be sure and let all involved in getting this done know how much you appreciate their efforts. A Job well done!!!!
RC
importuser

By importuser at 6/28/2007 11:49 AM

June 28th
Hi to all!
We've got over 20 of the 46 retail committee members responding with an enthusiastic "WE'RE IN" That is way cool!
Here are my thoughts on buying at home--feel free to use this however some of my figures may not be exactly correct---but you do get the feel for it. I think this would make a great monthly article for the chamber page---each month one of the 10 reasons could be reviewed in greater detail---tell me what you think! this is your forum----

After many years of being P.O.'d at local folks for shopping out of town,
I have come to the healthy conclusion that it is not that  people
intentionally buy out of town--they simply don't think about it. That is why
we need to continually educate them on the fact that spending their hard
earned dollar back into the community that they got it from--just makes good
sense--for them! It benefits all of us both individually and as a group to give a concerted effort to make our purchases locally. .
I have gone as far as to list the "The Top Ten Reasons To Buy In
Carthage"---Hey, this would make a great 10 week segment in the Journal
Pilot---hint--hint--each week you could disect one of the 10 reasons--get
interviews--produce figures--really educate us about the REAL benefits of
keeping our hometown $'s home. Do you want to see my top ten?
I knew you did!

10)howdy neighbor!  The local business's you do business with are your
friends, neighbors, church members, club members--if you don't do business
with them they might not be there in your community in the future--that's
sad! :(

9)It's convenient! There is nothing more convenient than to let your local
business know what you want and let them provide it for you. Simply simple!

8)saves time! refer to #9-- no driving, web surfing, fretting over which
direction to go, just stop in at your local business and let them provide
you their good or service!

7)Saves Gas!--o.k. a trip to Quincy is 70 miles roundtrip-that's 3.5
gallons of gas at 20 mpg or $11.34 just to get there and you haven't bought
a thing!

6)save money--so you've spent $11.34 just to get to wally world now your
really going to save some money! You buy $200 worth of stuff over and above
the $50 worth of stuff you went in for and you save a--let's say 5% over
what you could of bought the $50 for at home. Don't forget the overpriced
hamburgers/fries/drinks you had to buy to con the family to go with you.
Let's do the math---buy what you need at home $50 x .0625 sales tax
==$3.125----- total spent at home $53.13
$50 spent on what you need at 5% discount==$47.50
$47.50 x 7.5% Quincy sales tax =$3.56--$51.06
You've saved a whopping $2.07---or did you? don't forget the $11 in
gas--where and tear on the car--$215 in junk you really didn't need and the
$45 worth of junk food that went right back to your hip pocket and I don't
mean in change!
let's see that little shopping excursion cost you $53.13 in
Carthage and $322.06 in Quincy--hmmmm

5)lower sales tax---Carthage 6.25%--Quincy 7.5%
$100 you spend in Quincy it costs you $1.25
$1000---$11.25
$10000---$112.50
and that money pays for Quincy's roads, parks, sewers,
why should you pay for Quincy's pothole repair?

4)better service---let's face it--when you buy something from wally world
that needs service--you just take it back and get another one right? simple
until you refer to the whole ordeal in #6--another $250 trip. At home your
local business is commited to service after the sale--
if they don't offer good service--how can they face you at school,
church---remember they're your neighbors!

3)lower property taxes for all---did you know that over
1/3 of all the taxes collected in Carthage is from sales tax? (you will
need to get the actual #'s--i'm imbellishing ) That's over $250,000 a year
that would have to come from your property tax if the local business's
weren't there. If everyone made a concerted effort to buy locally the
property taxes could go down!!!

2)It's your future! Carthage is a great place to live, work and play.
Imagine for a moment Carthage with no grocery store, lumber yard, car
dealer, hospital,school,restaurant
those business are there only if you patronize them--if you don't use
them--you will lose them!

drum roll please!!!!.......and the #1 reason to do all your business at
home----

1) WE ALL WIN---Whether your a Dr,--lawyer, teacher, preacher, baker,
homemaker, clerk, soda jerk, or do partime paperwork---you benefit from a
strong business community!! give your local merchants a try before you buy!

Wow--you got me goin! This is just a rough draft of what has been going
through my head for a long time.

check in tomorrow for retail ramblings!
RC
importuser

By importuser at 6/29/2007 2:17 PM

Posted by:journalpilot
Here's the mission statement for the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce retail committee:
"The Retail subcommitteee of the Carthage Area Chamber of Commerce will work with retail businesses of the present and future, area media, tourism entities and local government agencies to promote, enhance and expand retail business in the Carthage area."

[color=pink][color=blue][/color][/color]
importuser

By importuser at 6/29/2007 3:53 PM

June 29th

Hi guys!
Thanks to Nat for the upgraded mission statement. I think it says it all!
All righty then---I am so pleased with the "handraisers" for retail warriors. I truly we can accomplish great things working together.
So where do we begin......let's start with W.I.N.---What's important Now---to the retailers warriors of Carthage
here is my list---PLEASE ADD YOUR THOUGHTS--this is a virtual meeting place

1)we need to know what we've got---currently the chamber is conducting a mapping of the square properties. This is being done to know who owns what building--what space is available for sale or lease--what is the property best suited for...Please take the time to fill out your property assessment sheet or if your approached by one of the calling tree chamber members please take a moment  and help them out. Once we  gather all this information we can facilitate filling empty storefronts--utilizing buildings around the square for their optimal use and putting potential future entrepeneurs in touch with current owners/operators. We need to look at our downtown business district as an open air mall---you know what empty storefronts look like in a mall don't you---- LOSERVILLE----more on this later

2)we all need to work off the same calendar---the city, school district, chamber of commerce, tourism committee, ministerial alliance, Nauvoo tourism, service clubs---all need to have one calendar that we can all depend on---in this very busy world it is going to get more and more difficult to attract our customers to our community and hold them here if we aren't letting them multitask. For example--with the new school district bringing in many more students, parents, grandparents, and siblings for school activities, we as retailers need to coordinate our events around school functions--so while they are in town for Johnnie's game they are also invited to a retail function prior to or after.
  Also when we do have events we will all know how and when to market them jointly. Our group should be able to post an annual calender of major retail committee sponsored events so that we all have ample lead time to prepare individually for them.  This website has a very good calendar--I just haven't been able to figure out how to post events to it yet. Help me Matt!

3)Christmas!!!---Ah my favorite time of year! As long as we can make the cash registers ring!!! From Thanksgiving til Christmas we as retailers need to go full steam ahead to try to capture as many shopping $'s as possible! To do this ALL the Merchants in Carthage need to be on the same page to attract and retain these shoppers. The Christmas open house is a great kickoff to the holiday shopping season! But after a kickoff you still have to play 4 quarters to win the game!!!

1st quarter---the twelve days of Christmas Shopping in Carthage---every thurs/fri/sat between Thanksgiving and Christmas (12 days)we must have entertainment/activity to draw traffic to carthage---i.e.--Christmas open house-----Christmas Wish--local school Chirstmas Concert---Chirstmas dinner/theatre--whenl the local business owners  have their Christmas dinner/parties at our local restaurants/dinner theatre during the 12 days--the local employee base could be enticed to do some Christmas shopping before the party with a Christmas bonus of Carthage Christmas Cash. It is my hope that the Chamber will offer Carthage Christmas Cash (up to a total of $10000) to it's members at a 10% discount. CCC could then be distributed as bonuses/gifts during the 12 days. Each individual retailer can offer their own specials for CCC during the 12 days.

2nd quarter--ALL Carthage retail merchants and square Business's open til at least 7pm (so people can come eat dinner and shop before the events) anything less than 100% participation is unacceptable! Don't open til noon if you have to but be open when the traffic is there! yes--Carson Ford will be open at the 4way along with other highway retailers!

3rd quarter--NO empty unlit storefronts during the twelve days of Christmas. Every storefront around and leading to the Carthage square will be outlined with miniture white Christmas lights (Tyrone get your order in) AND with an open and operating retail or service business in the front!!! The mapping of the square will allow us to put up to 11 local part time retailers in the empty storefronts during the 12 days. Weber Meats, pampered chef, Nauvoo fudge, Dadant's,Baxter vineyards, Amish furniture,Santa photography,..etc.....will fill the empty windows for 12 days!!!There will be a retail presence on our square again!

4th quarter---The inside of the square will be a winter wonderland of lights, sounds and activities of Christmas! The square will be divided into 16 sponsored areas (local business, service groups, etc) with one goal in mind---to turn the Carthage square into a festival of lights! Keokuk has Rand Park---Quincy has the Avenue of lights---Carthage can have "a winter wonderland" right smack in the middle of our retail center! Shoppers will come just to see the lights and spend money!

If we play hard for all 4 quarters we will win this game! If we ALL work to make the 12 days of Christmas in Carthage a success we can all enjoy the fruits of our labor and can fall into a big heep in January!

WOW---my fingers hurt---your turn to type! I know we can do this together
LEt's Roll
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 6/29/2007 4:21 PM

Rob...where is everyone? Are we the only ones on here? We need to urge more people to blog. Besides..now I can tell my 5 year old nephew that his aunt Nat is as cool as him! Maybe I'll email him-ha ha.
importuser

By importuser at 6/29/2007 5:23 PM

I just sent out an email to the troops. Hope you all are here!! Heading up to see the BYU ballroom dancers. Heard they have been playing to packed house in Nauvoo for 2 weeks! I'd love to see them on the stage of the auditorium next year playing to a full house of people from Macomb--Quincy--and all points south and west---have a great weekend guys!
RC
importuser

By importuser at 7/2/2007 9:57 AM

Posted by:MattDickinson
Nat *IS* cool!!  :)

Rob, or anyone else having questions about adding to the Carthage Community Calendar:  The very short version of how to do this is:

[list]
[li]View the calendar
[/li][li]Click "login" from the list of links at the top in small print  (click "register" if you are new to this, and do that first)
[/li][li]Once logged in, you'll notice new buttons on some of the calendar pages, such as "Add Event" or "Modify/Delete". 
[/li][li]To add an event that happens one time:  Click Add Event and then select the first option (one time event, or single event, I forget the exact wording).
[/li][li]Fill in the specifics (the category doesn't really matter, yet, but you can select whatever you want.  All of them currently show on the calendar).
[/li][li]When you are done, click the button at the bottom of the form, and your event should show up in the calendar!
[/li][/list]

There are many other options, so if you have a repeating event and need help, let me know (webmaster@carthage-il.com).  Good luck!

Now, let's keep blogging!!  (ps: Rob, you've got great ideas, let's keep going!)
importuser

By importuser at 7/2/2007 11:20 AM

JULY 2ND

Hi Retail Warriors!
what a wonderful night for the Illini West kickoff/welcome party!!! Congratulations to the organizers of this SUPER event. Hundreds of students and their families enjoyed a great evening of food, fun and entertainment. Many new faces in the crowd--let's all give it our best effort to make them feel welcome!

thanks Matt for the info on the calendar. I did figure it out and got the Christmas Wish and the 12 days of christmas loaded. If anyone knows who does the school calendars---please let them know that it would be wonderful if they could put the school calendar on the community calendar. If EVERY organization would use this one calendar and keep it updated---we could all be able to plan our events better--whether to collaborate and expand or to plan around other events---so if you have a calendar for your organization please load it on the Carthage Calendar! Believe me it's not that hard once you get the hang of it. The key to this working is to have ALL of us load our organization calendars!

Now--if your reading this---that means you can respond to this. Please take a moment and write a short note to the committee! All you have to do is register--login-- and type---eventually I would like to get away from the email format and do most of our correspondence through this forum--let us now your connected!

See ya at the Farmer's Market this afternoon!
RC
importuser

By importuser at 7/3/2007 10:10 AM

july 3rd

Hi warriors!
I hope I'm not wearing out my welcome--but I need your help. In order for this committee to function properly, I need your input on the forum. If you are like me, you are only going to work on the projects that interest you, or that you know you are going to get additional help with.
So---I've put together a poll of the proposed retail commitee projects--please take a moment go to www.carthage-il.com/bbs/index.php?topic=44.0 and take the poll. Remember, as a Carthage retailer, you are a member of this committee so vote for the projects that you are interested in. Also, I really need to know your thoughts---so please login and give your input on the forum. This only takes a few minutes each day and it will give the committee valuable information. To not vote or to not give your ideas and thoughts is in fact a vote of indifference---I know none of us wants that.
The poll is open to the public so let's get going!
Thanks
Rob

Sorry, It has come to my attention that you need to be registered with a user id and a password before the poll will show up. PLEASE  take the time to do this. I am in a similar grouop of over 1000 small Ford dealers around the United States that talk daily. I get a tremendous amount of valuable information and I've made some great friends. 46 of us can make a difference hear in Carthage. Please register, login and be a part of the process!
Thanks
Rob
importuser

By importuser at 7/3/2007 10:29 AM

If you have an item for the 7-11 chamber page please email Joy at editor@journalpilot.com by Thursday 7-5. Sorry for the short notice. It snuck up on us once again.
  This time we will feature 4th of July photos and a NEW Farmers Market vendor's spotlight with Janette Clark.
  The chamber page runs the 2nd week of each month and we welcome news and guest editorials. Please join in.
I will also include something about this blog with a url so people can check it out.
Rob...we should hit up the farmers market people to fill the store fronts during XMAS. Obviously they won't have vegetables, but I'd love to see cleaning products, baked goods and crafts during that time of year.
  I was only the 2nd vote in the poll so let's get moving!
importuser

By importuser at 7/5/2007 8:51 AM

july 5th

Thanks for the plug Nat! I believe this forum can be of great use--if it gets used!
Hope everyone had a great and safe 4th. Cudos to the parade committee--what a great parade and a huge crowd. One thought---I was a little ashamed of myself as a retailer to not have my cars on display on the courthouse lawn with one of my salesforce gathering customer information. Let's face it---there was a HUGE crowd around the square on a Wednesday morning and they all drive cars! I'm sure I could have convinced one of the guys (probably me) to work 4 to 5 hrs in exchange for a long weekend!!! It would have been fun to talk to everyone and get some me time off when I want it and the people aren't right there. Food for thought for the next community event. 
Please somebody respond!!
just in---

Friends,

Just a reminder that there will be no meeting of the Carthage Area Round Table in July.  Our next meeting will be on Wednesday, August first.  Mike Mauzy, the new high school superintendent, will be our guest.

Brenda 

thanks
RC
importuser

By importuser at 7/6/2007 10:31 AM

JULY 6

Is there anybody out there?! Well they say talking to yourself is good therapy. Do you know how good of situation we have for retail in Carthage Illinois? I just went to a basketball scrimmage for my son in Edina Missouri--the county seat of Knox County. Very similar situation to Carthage--county seat--high school--town square--but let me tell you what a difference! on the highway leading in to town there are over 10 to 15 empty and abandoned gas stations--car dealerships--implement dealers---when you go downtown the grand old buildings around the square are either boarded up empty or have some kind of resale/junk store next to the usual insurance or attornies office. The school is old and run down looking and as you drive around town you see that once well kept homes have fallen into disrepair. It made me very sad for the good people of Edina.
So when I got home I took a drive around Carthage. First I entered the town from a major 4 lane highway less than a quarter mile from town--I drove by a neatly mowed and showing great signs of improvement campus--(I allowed myself to dream about what's next for the auditorium)--passing by small business's occupying well kept spaces along 136 and then cruising around our beautiful hometown square--I then realized how much oppurtunity we do have here!! A major 4 lane highway--a converging 480 student high school, a college campus with a very bright future, a progressive hospital, a tourism industry that without turning the tap on "looking for lincoln" brings 100k bodies to our community annually, a major manufacturer, and some of the best agriculture in the world. Ladies and gentlemen our future is so bright "I've got to wear shades"
Please get involved with this retail committee--I need your input and support
have a great day!
Rob
p.s.--I would like to take a moment and honor Francis Fugate--I grew up with Francis being at the dealership everyday--He was part of the Carson Family for over 30 years! We all know he's in a better place but I sure miss seeing him and Dad back in the shop taking care of a customers car!

rc
importuser

By importuser at 7/9/2007 10:21 AM

I just wanted to thank everyone who volunteered or patronized the dance on the square Sat. night. WOW! what a crowd. The lady with the beer wagon said we sold 3 more kegs than last year. She said she can't believe how we continue to grow every year. Let's remember..the better we do the better the fireworks are in '08!
  Special thanks to my devoted and exhausted husband and the 4th of July committee for all of their labor. I was lucky enough to just be involved in tear down, but I imagine the set up was even more intense and very hot!
I was truly amazed at the passersby who stopped to roll up snow fence, grab a picnic table or roll one of the 70 some barrels. I know Jeff gives me a hard time about jumping into every committee and group and being a "sucker" for area community events. But honestly I think I speak for us both when I say that we feel honored to be part of such a generous and hard working community. I am very proud of him and the entire committee for another incredible year.